We look forward to seeing everyone in Chicago next week! Registration is still open and will remain open through the conference.
The Grid of the Future Symposium, sponsored by the CIGRE US National Committee (USNC), with the theme Technology for the 21st Century Electric Utility, will be held November 7 – 10, 2022 in Chicago, IL.
Early registration closes on October 9 at midnight, after that prices will increase by $50! Register NOW!
We have a limited number of hotel rooms, please register today for your hotel! Hotel reservations must be made by October 14, 2022!
The Symposium, hosted by Commonwealth Edison, will be a forum for the participants to discuss state-of-the-art innovations in generation, transmission, distribution, and innovative smart grid technologies.
Grid of the Future 2022 will feature plenary sessions, technical paper sessions, and tutorials by international experts. Contributions from Next Generation Network (NGN) young engineers are encouraged.
Learn more at cigre-usnc.org/grid-of-the-
Reminder! Register Now for the CIGRE USNC Annual Meeting and Luncheon
Tuesday, July 19, 2022, 11:30 – 1:00, Denver, CO
Registration is now open for the CIGRE U.S. National Committee All Members Annual Meeting and luncheon. This meeting is being held in conjunction with the IEEE General meeting at the Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel from Noon until 2 pm on Tuesday, July 19, 2022. You can register for this meeting and luncheon at the link below:
IEEE PES has negotiated a special group rate of US$239 per night for PES General Meeting attendees. This group rate is inclusive of service fees but exclusive of taxes (currently at 15.75%).
- Internet access, as well as access to the fitness center and pool, is included in the group rate.
- Reservations must be made by 5:00 pm Mountain Time on Tuesday, 14 June 2022 in order to get the group rate. Once when the room block is sold out, the hotel will offer rooms/rates based upon availability.
- Click here to book your room online at the group rate.
- The hotel offers a limited number of sleeping rooms at the government rate. The current government rate in the state of Colorado is US$181.00 plus applicable tax.
- Click here to book your room online at the government rate.
Tuesday July 19, 2022, 11:30 – 1:00, Denver, CO
Registration is now open for the CIGRE U.S. National Committee All Members Annual Meeting and luncheon. This meeting is being held in conjunction with the IEEE General meeting at the Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel from Noon until 2pm on Tuesday, July 19, 2022. You can register for this meeting and luncheon at the link below:
The CIGRE US National Committee regularly recognizes the significant contributions of our membership to CIGRE. This serves as a call for nominations for two awards, the Attwood Associates Award and the Phillip Sporn Award.
Please send your nominations to Beth LaRose at Elizabeth.email@example.com for consideration by the nominating committee no later than Monday, May 9th, 2022.
The award criteria and requested nomination details are shown below, and you can find past award recipients listed at https://cigre-usnc.org/awards/
For each nomination, please provide the following details of the candidate:
- Name, email, business title, work address
- Motivation for the nomination for that particular award (a couple sentences)
- CV or biography with an emphasis on CIGRE level involvement at the USNC and/or International level.
Attwood Associate Award
- The Attwood Associate Award recognizes an individual who has made notable contributions to CIGRE over an extended period of time.
- The citation of this award reads: The candidate must have made significant contributions to CIGRE either on a national (USNC) or international (CIGRE) basis and should have been an individual member of CIGRE for 10 consecutive years.
- “To honor the contributions and memory of Frederic Attwood of the U.S.A. who, with J. Tribot Laspiere of France, foresaw the need for an international organization in the field of high-voltage power engineering and who became the first chairman of the U.S. National Committee upon the founding of CIGRÉ in the year 1921.”
- The award is a plaque, which generally is presented at the USNC’s annual General Meeting, with lunch provided at the annual meeting.
Phillip Sporn Award
- The Philip Sporn Award is a USNC award given in honor of Philip Sporn who was President of the USNC from 1966–72. Mr. Sporn was also the CEO of American Electric Power in the 1950s until approximately 1961. He was a renowned engineer and a member of the National Academy of Engineering. He was a leading exponent of integrating large electric systems for economy and reliability reasons.
- The citation of this award reads: The candidate must have made significant, cumulative career contributions to CIGRE either on a national (USNC) or international (CIGRE) basis and should be an active, individual member of CIGRE.
- “For career contributions advancing electric power systems in theory, design and/or operation for the benefit of society in the United States, and for aspiring to Philip Sporn’s ‘Locus of Discontent’ approach; i.e., always challenging the status quo to advance technology for the betterment of society.”
- The award is a plaque and an airline ticket to the annual General Meeting of the USNC.
An additional USNC award, the Dale Douglass Award for Technical Achievement is nominated by the USNC Technical Committee VP and the Study Committee Representatives.
- This award is in recognition of proven outstanding technical or engineering contribution to USNC CIGRE and the engineering field in honor and memory of Dale Douglass of USA. This requires participation in CIGRE technical activities in a leadership role (e.g. WGs convenor with proven contribution, or member of WGs with clear and proven technical contributions) and significant contributions to the engineering field in general, with evidence to support it such as publications, or patents.
- The candidate should have been a member of CIGRE for a minimum of 10 consecutive years.
- The award is a plaque, which generally is presented at the USNC’s annual General Meeting, with a complimentary lunch at the annual meeting. The plaque citation shall read: “For leadership and participation in CIGRE technical activities internationally at the Study Committee or Working Group levels aspiring to the level of dedication exhibited by Dale Douglass.”
The deadline for Nominations is Monday, May 9th, 2022.
Please send your nominations to Beth LaRose at Elizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org.