CIGRE-US National Committee Next Generation Network (NGN) is holding a synopsis (abstract) and paper competition to encourage students and early professionals to share their experience and knowledge with others in the industry.
The CIGRE-US NGN synopsis template document must be used to format the synopsis for submittal. A list of preferred topics to align with the 2021 Grid of the Future symposium call for papers can be found here. Paper topic selection from this list is encouraged but not required. The authors of the top ten synopses will prepare technical papers according to the 2021 CIGRE-US NGN paper template document. The authors of the top five papers will present their papers at the 2021 Grid of the Future conference, where one grand prize will be awarded.
To qualify for the competition, you must fulfil both requirements 1 and 2:
- 1) Be a current CIGRE member located in the United States. 2021 student membership is free!
- 2) Be either a or b
- a) Undergraduate student or graduate student with interest in power systems, or
- b) Power system professional with 10 years or less full-time experience. Power system experience for this competition is classified as any full-time experience beyond the last degree received in the power field.
April 9, 2021
April 30, 2021
Top 10 notified of synopsis acceptance
July 2, 2021
Top 10 participants submit papers
August 27, 2021
Top 5 participants notified of paper acceptance
October 18, 2021
Top 5 participants present at the 2021 Grid of the Future Symposium
October 19, 2021
The first-place winner will be announced at GOTF 2021
- Each participant submits a synopsis by 4/9/21. They will receive confirmation of their synopsis’ receipt.
- Ten participants will be selected to submit full papers. The ten participants will be notified no later than 4/30/21.
- The ten selected participants will submit full papers by 7/2/21.
- Five participants will be selected to present their papers at the 2021 Grid of the Future Symposium. They will receive notification no later than 8/27/21.
- The five participants will each present at the 2021 Grid of the Future Symposium on 10/18/21 during the Symposium in Providence, RI. Each participant will have ten minutes for their presentation, followed by five minutes of Q&A.
- The first-place winner will be announced on 10/19/21 at the Grid of the Future Symposium.
- All top five participants will receive complimentary Grid of the Future Symposium registration ($500 value).
- The winning participant will have an option to choose between a registration to the 2022 CIGRE Paris Session or 2022 CIGRE Grid of the Future (GOTF) Symposium. In either case the winner will receive up to the $1000 travel stipend as well as the opportunity to submit for a presentation slot.
- All prizes are contingent on attendance at the events.
The top ten participants must send their paper using the paper template provided by 7/2/21 to CIGRE-NGN@burnsmcd.com. The MS Word version of the paper template can also be downloaded at the CIGRE-US NGN website (Link).
- 1. During the synopsis step, if the participant’s synopsis is not selected to prepare a paper, participants are encouraged to prepare a paper based on the synopsis and submit it for the 2021 Grid of the Future Symposium.
- 2. If a participant’s paper is selected as one of the top 5 to presented at the 2021 Grid of the Future Symposium, they may submit to the NGN competition ONLY. Do not submit for the Grid of the Future Symposium also.
- 3. If the participant’s paper is not selected to be in the top 5 papers, the participant is encouraged to submit the paper to the 2021 Grid of the Future Symposium. The deadline for submission is July 24 but will be extended to accommodate NGN paper competition participants.
Please contact NGN at CIGRE-NGN@burnsmcd.com with any questions or clarifications.