Next Generation Network
2015 Paper Competition
In 2015, the NGN held its first Paper Competition to encourage students and early professionals to share their experience and knowledge with others in the industry. The US competition is part of the international collaboration in CIGRÉ, where each country can submit 4 entries to the 2016 Paris Session Presentation Showcase Competition.
The competition consisted of multiple phases. Participants received feedback on their submission at each phase from the six judges.
- The Top Five were each awarded registration to the 2015 Grid of the Future Symposium, where each participant presented their paper.
- The Grand Prize was additionally awarded registration to attend the 2016 Paris Session and $1000 stipend to support travel expenses
- Alex Breckel – US Department of Energy (Breckel-Residential_Electricity_Bill_Savings_Opportunities_from_Distributed_Electric_Storage)
- Insu Kim – Alabama A&M University (paper)
- Alberto Lamadrid – Lehigh University (paper)
- [Winner] Aleksi Paaso – Commonwealth Edison (paper)
- Huihua Yu – Alstom Grid (paper)
A big thanks to our six judges!
- David Bertagnolli – ISO New England
- Burt Enright – Commonwealth Edison
- Saeed Kamalinia – S&C Electric
- John McDonald – GE Energy Management
- Chris Mertz – Dominion
- Amanda Olson – Burns & McDonnell